Re: [css-variables] Different syntax for variable definition and use

From: Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:18:34 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
> > Why does the variable name need to be part of the declaration?
>
> I don't understand what you mean by this.

“var-foo” appears to mean the variable is called “var-foo”; but with
“var(foo)”, the variable seems to be called “foo".

That is exactly why I claim it is not easy to connect things, and why
this particular syntax is unintuitive and hard to use.

> > And what are, pardon me Tab, the other “‘variable-like’ things” we
> > would need the “$” syntax for
>
> I'm thinking of $ for macro-style expansion, or something along those lines.

What is macro-style expansion, why do we need it, and how does it beat
variables in terms of syntax? (A thread pointer would be enough,
cheers :)

--
Jens O. Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/