[css4-images] Questions about element()

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 23:01:21 +1000
To: CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>
Hello all,

I have begun experiments with the element() for backgrounds (using
FF14). I have checked the spec [1] and after doing some test, I have
these questions.

Question 1: Will it be possible to use background-size for element()?

With my first demo [2], I can't do this,

#test1 {
   background: -moz-element(#image1) 0%, -moz-element(#image1) 0% -50%,
white;
   background-size: 50px;
}

but in my second demo [3], I can re-size with background-size and also
animate this with a :hover event. Please note that the referenced image
is located in a different directory. I may have to do more testing.

Question 2: Is FF doing something that the spec says is wrong? In my
second demo [3], if you hover the referenced element (an image), it
transforms by rotating on the z-axis and this show up also in the
background for the element that uses element(). This seems to go against
what the spec states.

   | If the referenced element has a transform applied to
   | it or an ancestor, the transform must be ignored
   | when rendering the element as an image.
   | [[!CSS-TRANSFORMS]]

Alan

1. http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css4-images/#element-notation