Re: Next step for DAP Ambient Light Events

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:20:27 -0700
To: "Tran, Dzung D" <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>
Cc: Doug Turner <dougt@mozilla.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Tran, Dzung D <dzung.d.tran@intel.com> wrote:
> A quick un-scientific test:
>
>                                     Nexus 7 tablet (JB)       Galaxy Nexus Phone (ICS)                  Xolo Phone (ICS)
>
> Office lighting:           ~550 lux                                    ~170                                                 ~700
>
> Flash light (1"):          ~40,000                                   ~12000                                             ~48,000

Interesting.  I'd like to see a few more results, to see if the Galaxy
Nexus is just an outlier, or if things are generally that spread out.

If they turn out to be that spread out, though, then I recommend
defining the named light levels not in absolute lux values, but
instead just defining them generally and noting that devices should
map their lux ranges as appropriate (with a note that this lack of
definition is due to the significant divergence in detected lux across
devices).