Re: [media-queries] and Ambient Light Sensor API

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:32:57 +0200
To: <www-style@w3.org>, "Florian Rivoal" <florian@rivoal.net>
|  The level of contrast you want to pick for your web page
|  should depend not only on the ambient light level, but also
|  on the brightness of the screen.
|  Also, most web authors would probably have no idea
|  a which level of luminosity they should switch their styling.

Exactly. This is why I was proposing keywords. However a
two-state filter can't make the trick here.

In my sense, we should at least support 4 keywords:

    - In dark mode, you could switch to a white on black color scheme.
    - In normal mode, you could use the dark gray on white color scheme.
    - In bright mode, you could use black on white and remove gradients.
    - In washed mode, you could switch to pure black/white, use bolder font.

So something like :

    @media (min-luminance: bright) {
        /* remove fancy stuff to increase contrast */
    }

    @media(luminance: washed) {
        /* switch to black and white */
    }

François

Visual representation of the proposed modes (no adaptation) :

Visual representation of the proposed modes (some adaptation) :

image_46_.png
(image/png attachment: image_46_.png)

image_43_.png
(image/png attachment: image_43_.png)