Re: CSS feature detection queries

From: Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 07:56:23 +0200
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Giuseppe Bilotta:
>
>> I've recently found myself thinking about situations in which some
>> kind of ‘feature detection’ for CSS browser support might be necessary
>> (see later for details on such motivations). I've googled for relevant
>> threads on this mailing list, but it seems to me that the main
>> proposals that have been made on related topics have been focused on
>> _browser_ detection.
>
> You must have missed this while searching:
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-conditional/

Ah, thanks, this looks exactly like what I was looking for. I must
have been using the wrong keywords

The @supports rule looks pretty much like the third syntax I was
thinking about, although I can't say that this text:

> The ‘@supports’ rule is at risk; if interoperable implementations are not found, it may be removed to advance the other features in this specification to Proposed Recommendation.

is particularly encouraging ;-)

On the other hand, now that I know what to look for, it seems that
webkit, mozilla _and_ opera are working on it, so I guess I _can_ keep
my hopes up.

Thanks a lot again,

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta