Re: [media-queries] chicken-egg problem with font-based lengths

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:26:54 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Le 20/08/2012 04:00, Giuseppe Bilotta a écrit :
> While this surely greatly simplifies the implementation, it does
> become bothersome in my case, because it means I cannot_reliably_
> size the #content container when selecting a font different from the
> user's default one. I guess I'll have to think about some different
> approach to achieve a wrapping container.

When you use the em unit (eg. for the width of a box) there are two
possibilities:

1. All ancestors with a value for font-family use relative units (em,
ex, %). The value of 1em is ultimately based on the user’s configured
default, most commonly 16px.
2. At least one ancestors sets a font-family with an absolute unit (px,
...). 1em has a known absolute value.

It’s easiest to make your stylesheet use 1 or 2 consistently across the
whole document. With 1 you can use em in media queries and get
consistent results. With 2, use px or another absolute unit in media
queries, and you should also get consistent results.

--
Simon Sapin