[css2][css3-exclusions] 'clip' with more shapes and all elements

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 09:42:15 -0700
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Hi www-style,

I wonder if it is possible to extend the 'clip' property to apply to all elements (instead of just absolute positioned elements) [1]? FF applies 'clip-path'[2] to all elements already. What are the concerns to do so on 'clip'?

Can we extend 'clip' to use more shapes then just 'rect'? If we get rid of these limitations, the 'clip' property would be a lot more useful (or maybe useful for the first time? ;) ). The basic shapes 'circle', 'ellipse' and 'polygon' (but also 'rectangle') from the exclusion spec [3] seem to be good candidates.

'clip-path' could still be used for referencing SVG 'clipPath' elements or could shadow 'clip' and 'clip' supports a <FuncIRI> as well.

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visufx.html#clipping
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/masking.html#EstablishingANewClippingPath