Re: [css-variables] For consideration

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:17:09 +0200
To: "Roland Steiner" <rolandsteiner@google.com>
Cc: "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
|  From: Roland Steiner
|
|  Just to bring this up for reference: in a way, things have come
|  full circle - when I originally proposed the "new-style" CSS variables
|  I called them "pseudo-properties", using a '::' prefix to mirror
|  pseudo-elements (but the prefix, whether '$', '::' or 'my-', is really
|  a matter of preference).

This is eactly the philosophy I support indeed for some time. It is worth
noting that your initial message dates back from October 2011 [1], used the
“User-defined CSS properties” name, and got no response at the time.

==
==  The proposal consists of 2 parts:
==
==  1) Allow users to define arbitrary CSS properties (using some
==      syntax) that inherit and cascade as normal.
==
==  2) Add a function apply() that returns the current value of a
==      CSS property.
==

At this point, the existing proposals for the "apply()" function includes

    ref()
    apply()
    or no function at all
        using "self.my-property" and "parent.property" directly as keywords
        or creating brackets islands to isolate the new keywords.

All share the exact same philosophy.

|  Rather than having a function $() de-referening just variables, I
|  suggested an 'apply()' function that can be used with any property,
|  whether custom or not. I think this could have some useful
|  applications outside variables/custom properties. but perhaps is
|  hard to implement, and raises question with regard to shorthand
|  properties.

Yes, I proposed that too. The current draft Brian and I crafted doesn't
allow you to do that because we didn't want to compromise the whole proposal
by introducing a risky feature in it, but the whole prose is already made as
if it was possible, just awaiting the CTRL+H that will lift the 'custom'
restriction...

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Oct/0212.html