Re: List of selectors under consideration for Selectors Level 4?

From: Greg Houston <gregory.houston@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 03:38:18 -0500
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:09 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 01:04 AM, Greg Houston wrote:
>>
>> Is there a list of selectors under consideration for inclusion in
>> Selectors Level 4 but have not yet made it in?
>

> I believe all items currently under consideration are already in the
> editor's draft. If that's not the case, someone needs to remind me
> what's missing. :)

Ah. Is Selectors Level 5 in the works? If so, is there a list of
selectors being considered for inclusion in the draft?

>> I'm particularly interested in the status of the previous sibling
>> combinators and wonder if they are even on anyone's radar.
>

> I believe you're looking for
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors4/#subject

I'm not sure that link relates to the combinators I mentioned. Someone
proposed the previous sibling combinators that basically look in the
opposite direction of the preceding sibling combinators, + and ~. I
find myself wishing these existed on just about every UI project I
work on. That way I could change content styling depending on if that
content is followed by a footer or pagination for example.

Other selectors I am interested in:
:only-whitespace, see :-moz-only-whitespace, similar to :empty (not
very useful in it's current state), but also includes an element with
whitespace in it
first-visible-child
last-visilbe-child