[css3-break] Breaking using <br> element

From: Mihai Balan <mibalan@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 10:37:25 +0100
To: "WWW Style (www-style@w3.org)" <www-style@w3.org>
Hi all,
I've come across somewhat of an edge-case regarding page/column/region breaks and I'm trying to understand what's the *correct* behavior. This edge-case refers to using a <br> element to trigger both a line break and a page/column/region break, with something like this:

.break {
    break-after: page; /* or column or region */
}

>From my investigations up to this point, spec-wise, this should work. However, current browser implementations are quite divergent:
  * WebKit & IE won't page/column/region break on a <br> styled as above
  * Opera will happily break on a <br> styled as above
  * Firefox _seems_ to properly apply breaks when using <br>, but since the latest version only supports page breaks, I'm unsure about the rest of the breaks.

Now, my question is: should a <br> styled as above cause a page/column/break too, besides the implicit line break?

Thanks a lot,
Mihai

Mihai Balan | Quality Engineer / WebKit team |  mibalan@adobe.com | +4-031.413.3653 / x83653 | Adobe Systems Romania