[css3-fonts] 'none' value for font-variant and font-variant-ligatures

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:24:34 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

I've updated the CSS3 Fonts draft to include a 'none' value for the
'font-variant' and 'font-variant-ligatures' properties.  I added this
telcon several weeks ago [1].  The way I've defined it, the 'none'
value disables only default features controlled by the
'font-variant-ligatures' property, common ligatures and contextual
alternates.  It *doesn't* disable required ligatures, glyph
composition or marking features which are all required to properly
render certain text runs.  These features are always enabled (unless
explicitly disabled via font-feature-settings).

So authors can explicitly disable kerning and ligatures by writing:

  font-kerning: none;
  font-variant: none;

Regards,

John Daggett