RE: [css3-grid-layout] grid-descendant grid items

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 23:31:52 +0000
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, Tony Chang <tony@chromium.org>, Julien Chaffraix <jchaffraix@chromium.org>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

[Ojan Vafai:]

>Tony and I would both prefer leaving this for a future version.
>If there are significant, core use-cases that require this, that might change my opinion.

Thanks.

Same here. To be very clear I'm not suggesting this is unimportant; but we do have modules
and levels to enable iterative progress. As editors and implementers of the feature it's
natural to assume we have a bias to move forward; but said bias does come with a couple of
years' worth of experience with a *subset* of the current ED to lay out content and UI
throughout a major OS.

It's also very likely, however, that we haven't yet touched some use-cases. But while a
concrete extension proposal is welcome at any time we are most interested in real-world
use-cases e.g. not just "if you write a form with this kind of markup, then..." but
"this site lays out their form using list items positioned in a grid; using/ migrating to
css3-grid-layout would be hard for them because....".  In other words, a compelling
argument demonstrating that Level 1 is not complete enough for authors because of X, Y and Z.

(Fwiw my preference at the moment would be to attempt simplifying Level 1 in reasonable ways
in order to reach Last Call faster instead of adding to it).