[css3-flexbox] PF Comments on Flexbox

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 13:19:25 -0700
To: chairs@w3.org, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
Responding to Janina's message forwarding the WAI-PF WG's comments on
the CSSWG's CR transition request for CSS Flexible Box Layout:
Threading is broken because I'm not a member of chairs@ :)

Hi Janina, WAI-PF,
Daniel Glazman forwarded your comments to us, and I have attempted
to address them as you requested.

With regards to the note about accessibility impact:

   I've added a note to the top of the Ordering and Orientation section,
   as you suggested. I also added an authoring conformance requirement
   that the reordering capabilities of Flexbox not be used as a substitute
   for correct source ordering. You can find the text in the editor's draft,

   There is also some relevant prose and conformance requirements in the
   section defining 'order', for which we have recently added a heading
   and an anchor:

With regards to tab navigation:

   We discussed this issue back in June:
   with the participation of John Foliot:

   The conclusion was that following the source order and following
   the visual order both have use cases. We resolved that by default,
   the tab order should follow the source order. This keeps it
   consistent with the speech order and with other layout models,
   in which there is not such an obvious concept of "flow" as there
   is in Flexbox. We added advice to authors that the source order
   should remain logical for this and other reasons.

   We will, however, investigate providing some kind of switch in the
   future. The CSS Working Group agrees this is an area that needs
   further development, and there are other issues with tab navigation
   that also need work. We expect to take these up together the next
   time we visit tab navigation, in the UI module.

Please let us know if this addresses your concerns.