Re: Path to polyfilling CSS functions?

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 17:16:08 +0100 (BST)
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Cc: Nicholas Shanks <nickshanks@nickshanks.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
De : Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage@gmail.com
> I completely agree with the sentiment, just not with the additional
> consequences of the particular way that Boris is recommending we
> accommodate this.
>
> I think that using variables as an "author prefix" to allow
> polyfillers an easy way to see and manipulate the property in the OM
> is a sufficiently good answer.

I globally agree with Tab here. BTW, the CSS Custom Properties draft [1] states that:

|  This design also brings a new tool for Web authors to shim
|  unimplemented      CSS properties in a forward compatible
|  manner by guaranteeing that new      native implementations
|  will never overlap with their own implementation.

The polyfiller can walk the CSS Stylesheets to find the CSS rules where a certain custom property is defined and use querySelectorAll to retrieve impacted elements to mimick its behavior.

However this doesn't solve the case of unknown @rules.

[1] http://fremycompany.com/TR/2012/ED-css-custom/#intro