Re: [css3-syntax] !important vs. ! /**/ important

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 08:58:45 -0700
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
> Le 07/08/2012 17:36, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>> I can't do whitespace
>> collapsing, even, because you can have an unbounded number of
>> *comments*  between the two tokens as well.
>
> I don’t see how this is a problem, there is an unbounded number of
> characters in many tokens. Would an internal "the last token was whitespace"
> flag not be enough?

"Unbounded" is fine as long as they're being added to the thing you're
currently working on.  It's problematic if you need to remember all
the things you're skipping past so you can emit them later.

Currently the parser has only a single instance of lookahead, and
that's specifically for dealing with !important, so it can tell
whether to append a DELIM(!) token to the property or set its
important flag.  Having to read an unbounded number of whitespace and
comment tokens forward, and then emit them later if it turns out the
next "real" token isn't an IDENT(important), is problematic.  I'd like
to avoid it if possible.