Re: [css3-animations][css3-conditional][css3-syntax] spaces after ATKEYWORD should not be required (was: [css3-conditional] value of CSSSupportsRule.conditionText)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 09:01:10 -0700
To: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
Cc: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu
<kennyluck@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> (12/08/06 15:16), L. David Baron wrote:
>> That might make sense in many cases, but I'm not sure it works as a
>> general rule; there are places in CSS where white space between
>> tokens does make a difference (in particular, in selectors:
>> "div/**/p" is not a valid selector while "div p" is).
>
> This reminds me that css3-animations and css3-conditional probably
> shouldn't require spaces after ATKEYWORD. Namely,
[snip]
> I think css3-syntax should have normative statement about this as it's
> not a good idea to reason based on something we intend to make
> deprecated, namely, CSS 2.1 Appendix G.

Is a statement actually required in Syntax?  This falls out of the
definition of the tokenizer - there are a lot of places where a
comment can be inserted between things to separate tokens, where
whitespace would otherwise be required.

What I would like to do in Syntax, though, is provide more grammar
primitives a la property definitions, so that at-rules can be defined
more abstractly without having to worry about the details of the
tokenizer.