Re: [css3-text] Proposal for text decoration blink value

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Bruno Abinader <brunoabinader@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am implementing the CSS3 text decoration support on WebKit, based on
> the latest Editor's Draft for CSS Text Level 3 (
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/ ).
>
> Said this, I am going to suggest a change on the CSS3 specification of
> "text-decoration", related to the "blink" value. But first, we need to
> ask ourselves if this is really needed, it seems that only Firefox and
> Opera implements this, and to not implement it satisfies the
> checkpoint 3.3 of WAI-UAAG (
> http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG/guidelines.html#tech-on-off-blinking-text ).
> I imagine two scenarios for this:
>
> 1. Abolish usage of "blink" value, since the same behavior is
> achievable with rgba() alpha animation.
>
> 2. Make "blink" value become a bitwise property value for
> "text-decoration-line", thus modifying "text-decoration" to the
> acceptable values below:
> "text-decoration" values: <text-decoration-line> ||
> <text-decoration-style> || <text-decoration-color>
> "text-decoration-line" values: none | [ underline || overline ||
> line-through || blink ]
>
> 3. Make "blink" become a shorthand, not just a valid value inside
> "text-decoration" property, so "text-property" acceptable values
> become like this:
> "text-decoration" values: <text-decoration-line> ||
> <text-decoration-style> || <text-decoration-color> ||
> <text-decoration-blink>
>
> The new property shorthand would have the following specification:
> Name: text-decoration-blink
> Value: fixed | blink
> Initial: fixed
> Applies to: all elements
> Inherited: no
> Percentages: N/A
> Media: visual
> Computed value: as specified
>
> ----
>
> The scenario (1) does not seem to be viable because AFAIK we need to
> provide proper backwards compatibility with previous CSS
> specifications.
> Scenario (2) is the most simple to implement, though we need to check
> if makes sense to have "blink" feature attached to text decoration
> line specification.
> Scenario (3) is also simple to implement, and also maintains backwards
> compatibility with previous CSS 2.1 specification for text decoration.
>
> IMO I feel comfortable with scenario (3), where we can even extend
> this usage to satisfy text blinking details like period between
> blinks, for example.

I think that #1 is fine for WebKit - just ignore the blink value, as
you're allowed to do.  It only exists because it's nice to be able to
express HTML's default rendering in CSS, and at the time it was
introduced, CSS Animations didn't exist.