Re: [css4-images] element() behavior

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 12:48:07 -0700
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Cc: robert@ocallahan.org, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> We know that authors don't understand stacking contexts, so that seems
> like it would be a source of author confusion.

Another possibility is to require an explicit property on the element
target (unless it provides a paint source), which has the side-effect
of making it a stacking context.  We might be able to attach other
useful abilities to this property, I dunno.

> It might be simpler to just say that element() doesn't render things outside
> of the stacking context of the element() target.

I don't understand what you mean.  Are you implying that we walk up
the ancestor chain until we find a stacking context, and then render
that?