Re: [css3-regions] Region interface

On 7/31/12 8:54 PM, "Elliott Sprehn" <esprehn@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have a suggestion as to how we could improve this part of the
>spec, while still leaving the option of what can be a CSS Region open?
>

>Is there any other "thing" besides CSSPseudoElement that you'd want to be
>a region?
>
>- Elliott

It could turn out that a CSSPseudoElement would be the only other
(prospective) JavaScript object that could turn into a CSS Region. There
are three types of CSS-generated boxes that have been considered as
possible CSS Region candidates so far:

1. Existing and future pseudo-elements (::before and ::after)
2. Page template slots (@slot rules in
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page-template/ )
3. Grid template slots (from http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-layout/ )

None of these "things" have a JavaScript representation yet. It might turn
out that a single JavaScript object could cover all of these CSS-generated
boxes. But we don't know yet whether that's the case.

Thanks,

Alan