Re: [css3-animations] `alternate-reverse` vs `alternate reverse`

From: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:04:22 +0300
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 30/4/12 03:14, Lea Verou wrote:
> Glad to see these new values added in animation-direction (reverse and
> alternate-reverse)!
>
> I think it would be a bit easier for authors if they were two
> whitespace separated words, rather than one hyphenated word. i.e. if
> the property accepted `alternate reverse` and `reverse alternate`,
> rather than just `alternate-reverse`.
>
> Reasons:
> - No need to remember their order
> - Authors can refer to the simpler mental model of 2 toggles (reverse
> direction? yes/no, alternate even states? yes/no) rather than 4
> different states.
> - It would be much easier to convert to a shorthand in the future, if
> such a need surfaces.
>

> Thoughts?

To be clear, I'm suggesting that the grammar for the animation-direction
property changes from:

[ normal | reverse | alternate | alternate-reverse ] [, [ normal |
reverse | alternate | alternate-reverse ] ]*

to:

[ normal | [ reverse || alternate ] ] [, [ normal | [ reverse ||
alternate ] ] ]*

which, besides the other benefits I outlined in the previous email, is
also more concise.

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)