Re: [css3-regions] Improve the NamedFlow JS interface

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:50:21 -0700
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> Do you have any other arguments for maps and against collections? I'm not
> convinced that this:
>
>  document.namedFlows['my-flow'];
>
> Is any easier than this:
>
>  document.getFlowByName("my-flow");
>
> The discussion on public-webapps [1] did not show a strong preference one
> way or the other, except around collections being better for enumeration.
> The use case I'm considering for enumeration is a script that ensures that
> every named flow has an associated region chain, to make sure that all the
> content is displayed.
>
> So absent further discussion from you or others I'm inclined to keep these
> interfaces as-is.

The first example is slightly terser, but you see even greater results
if you're using names that are JS ident-friendly:

document.namedFlows.mainflow

vs

document.getFlowByName('mainflow')

Enumeration isn't significantly different between the two.  For a map,
you currently have to remember to check for own properties (a single
method call per property), but upcoming JS improvements remove this
need.  For a collection, you have to remember the name of the method
that returns the list of names.  Every new name I have to remember is
a tax on my language-memory.  :/

~TJ