[css3-text] overflow-wrap vs word-wrap

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:13:45 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Hi,

I was about to update our implementation to support overflow-wrap (and
keep word-wrap as an alias). Since we have implemented an aliasing
mechanism, doing this change would be very simple, but after talking with
other Opera developers, we started questioning whether this was really a
good idea.

For sure, the name overflow-wrap is a little more descriptive, and if we
were designing this without any implementation out there, it would
probably be a better choice.

But all browsers already interoperability support this functionality under
the word-wrap name, and have do so for years already. Authors know
word-wrap, tutorials talk about word-wrap, sites use word-wrap... I don't
see what we gain by pulling the carpet from under everybody's feet.

Although we can align to the spec if the wg persists in thinking this
rename is needed, we would like this decision to be reconsidered.

Also, even though I did find a discussion on this topic in the minutes[1],
it was not conclusive, and I could not find an actual resolution.

  - Florian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Jun/0325.html