Re: [css3-mediaqueries][css3-values]

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:35:54 -0700
To: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com> wrote:
> The intention is that dppx should be usable everywhere
> <resolution> is used. The media query level 3 spec does not
> reflect that simply because it was frozen before dppx was
> devised, and we don't want to move the bar of what it means
> to be a conforming implementation of media queries.

Tangentially related: specs that aren't defining the core grammar
shouldn't do lexical scanners anyway.  We know that the Appendix G
grammar is broken, in that it doesn't even parse all valid *2.1*
content, so we shouldn't even pretend that people actually use it.  In
practice implementations use some approximation of the Chapter 4
grammar, plus a parser that consumes the tokens.

In other words, MQ should just say that it accepts a <resolution>
there, and be done.

As part of my revival of Syntax, I'll attempt to add grammar tokens
that should make the definitions of at-rules resemble the definitions
of property values.