Re: device-pixel-ratio

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 02:40:17 -0700
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Apr 24, 2012, at 3:39 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 04/24/2012 03:05 PM, Edward O'Connor wrote:
>>
>> P.S. While we're at it, I second Florian's suggestion (from several
>> months ago) that we adopt 'device-pixel-ratio' as an official media
>> query. It's easy to use; authors readily understand how to use it to
>> distinguish between Retina displays and low-DPI displays.
>>
>> 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density
>
> I don't understand how it's any better than resolution: 2ddpx;

There seem to be at least three advantages, if, perhaps, relatively minor ones.

1) 'device-pixel-ratio: 2' is more readily understandable - ddpx is a mysterious abbreviation.
2) device-pixel-ratio is deployed in existing content (albeit with a webkit prefix); declining to standardize it seems likely to increase the scope of the prefix problem.
3) device-pixel-ratio has actual deployment experience showing it is usable for its intended purpose.

In what way is 'resolution: 2ddpx' better?

Regards,
Maciej