Re: [css3-flexbox] Initial value of 'flex' should make flexible boxes

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:18:36 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Ah, I see. That makes sense. How about if the main size computes to auto,
> and flex has its initial value (whatever that winds up being), flex also
> computes to auto? That way turning on flexbox would give you flexing by
> default, but if you set an explicit width it respects that instead?

That then breaks things like vertical flexboxes used solely for
alignment, where you want the heights to shrinkwrap like normal,
unless you again explicitly turn off flexing (or explicitly set
"height:min-content;").

Flexing is a confusing behavior if you're not expecting it to happen.
It's really simple to turn it on, though, except for anonymous flexbox
items.

~TJ