[css3-text] wrapping text while keeping line lengths balanced

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 22:54:28 +0000 (UTC)
To: www-style@w3.org

Hi,

As part of WebVTT we've run into a problem of wanting text wrapping to
have automatically balanced line lengths in captions.

Looking at the CSS Text specification, it looks like this is a new axis on
the 'white-space' shorthand, which applies only at the block level,
controlling whether the line breaks are distributed eagerly, like today,
modulo 'text-wrap:avoid', or whether they are distributed so as to
minimise the difference in line lengths, again modulo 'text-wrap:avoid'.

Any advice on how to proceed in addressing this use case in WebVTT would
be most welcome. Short-term I expect we will look at introducing a new
'white-space' keyword, which expands to the same as 'normal' but with a
new property 'text-balance' or something set to a value indicating that
the lines should be balanced, but it would be good if we could instead
point to something that browsers implement for all of CSS rendering.