RE: [css3-flexbox] chunk on line formation doesn't handle flexbox items that are wider than flexbox

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:05:52 +0000
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
 From: ojan@google.com [mailto:ojan@google.com] On Behalf Of Ojan Vafai
 Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:23 PM
 To: Daniel Holbert
 Cc: Alex Mogilevsky; www-style list
 Subject: Re: [css3-flexbox] chunk on line formation doesn't handle flexbox items that are
 wider than flexbox

 On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com<mailto:dholbert@mozilla.com>> wrote:
 On 04/17/2012 11:28 PM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
 > sure, there must be at least one item in each line.
 >
 > How does this sound?
 >
 >       2.Collect as many consecutive flexbox items as possible, starting from
 >       the first item, <INS> then add items </INS> while keeping the sum of
 >       their margin-box main size smaller than the flexbox's available space.
 >       If a flexbox item is sized with a flexible length, then for the purpose
 >       of this step, clamp its size between its minimum and maximum main
 >       sizes. The items so collected form a single flexbox line.

 This sounds like it actually affects the size of the flex item later in the algorithm,
 which I think is not what you intended? I find Daniel's wording below less
 ambiguous.

This is better, yeah -- though perhaps the wording could be made
slightly clearer.  In particular, the "while keeping their margin-box
main size smaller than the flexbox's available space" chunk still sounds
a bit confusing / impossible to satisfy in the large-first-item case.
(I know the intention is for it not to apply in that case, but that's
not immediately obvious.)

Perhaps that first sentence could be replaced with something like this:
(more verbose but perhaps more clear?)

 2. Create an empty collection of flexbox items. Insert the first
   available item. If this item's margin-box main-size isn't already
   larger than the flexbox's available space, then insert as many
   consecutive flexbox items as possible, keeping the sum of their
   margin-box main sizes less than the flexbox's available space.

I'd be happy with your suggested text, too, though. (or anything else
that conveys the same idea)

Thanks!
~Daniel
I am fine with either wording, I think we all know what we mean there.