Re: [css4-color] Grayscale shorthand (with alpha)

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:03:06 +0200
To: Rudolph Gottesheim <r.gottesheim@loot.at>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 11:01:17 AM, Rudolph wrote:

RG> I find myself writing things like rgba(0, 0, 0, .5) or rgba(192, 192,
RG> 192, .8) dozens of times a day, mostly for shadows. It's always some
RG> shade of gray with some alpha value.

RG> Do you think there's room for a grayscale color shorthand?

What properties would you want it to have? For example, would 50% gray correspond to a color which is visually 50% between black and white?

The CIE lightness (L*) has that property. L=0 is black, L=100 is the media white. L=50 is exactly a mid grey.

It could be used by itself or as part of the CIE Lab or LCH color spaces (C and H are chroma and hue angle) - to give warm or cool greys for example.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG