Re: [css4-color] Grayscale shorthand (with alpha)

From: Rudolph Gottesheim <r.gottesheim@loot.at>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:30:10 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Am 17.04.2012 21:52, schrieb Brian Manthos:
> I'm curious to hear more about why gray is so popular from an artistic / designer perspective.
>
> Is it the "black and white" muted photo affect (in which case a filter might be better)?   I have a few other guesses as well.

The use cases I was talking about are, as I said, mostly shadows. And
most of the time you don't want a color shift in your shadow. You just
want to darken part of the background.

A similar use case would be text on a busy background (image). Often
times designers darken or brighten a box behind the text to make it more
legible. Here you also wouldn't want a color shift. Just
semi-transparent black or white. (Or, sometimes, actually values in
between.)

So my proposal was actually more about darkening and brightening with
color, rather than an actual shorthand for gray, I guess.