Re: [css3-values] attribute parsing with attr()

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:32:17 -0700
To: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
Cc: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu
<kennyluck@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> The section uses a bunch of "The attribute value will be interpreted as
> X" but I think it should instead make sure the following questions are
> answered without ambiguity:
>
> 1. Can CSS escape work in an attribute that's parsed as 'string',
> 'color', 'url', 'length', 'angle', 'time', 'frequency'?

Yes, as much as escapes are allowed at all.

> 2. Are CSS comments allowed for all types besides 'string' and 'url',
> esp. for 'color', which accepts multiple tokens?

Yes.

> 3. Are attr(), calc() and cycle() allowed as attribute value?

No.

> 4. Are trailing spaces allowed?

They're now explicitly trimmed away for everything but strings.

Check out the edits we've made to the attr() section - we tried to
tighten it up a lot more with regards to parsing, but we'd appreciate
your review.