RE: [css3-fonts] Addition of font-size: xxx-large

> [John Daggett:]
> >
> > Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> >
> > > CSS 3 Fonts, like CSS 2.1, defines <absolute-size>s ranging from
> > > xx-small to xx-large.  The legacy HTML <font size=1> corresponds to
> > > xx-small, 2 is small (skipping x-small), and 3-6 are medium to
> > > xx-large.  There is no CSS equivalent to <font size=7> -- 3rem is
> > > different because it varies if you change the root element's font
> > > size.  I would like to request that a "font-size: xxx-large" value
> > > be defined, corresponding to <font size=7> (scaling factor of 3).
> > >
> > > WebKit already supports "font-size: -webkit-xxx-large".  Both HTML5
> > > and HTML Editing APIs refer to a nonexistent CSS value of "xxx-large":
> >
> > I don't fully understand the logic behind the desired addition here.
> > The <font> element is considered obsolete so why is important to try
> > and make features associated with it's functionality interoperable?
> > Is there much use of -webkit-xxx-large?
> >
> > > The lack of xxx-large causes significant problems for editing (in
> > > the sense of <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/editing/raw-

> file/tip/editing.html>).
> > > Rich-text editing commands (document.execCommand()) can create
> > > styles using either CSS or HTML tags.  The fontSize editing command
> > > accepts 1 to 7 as parameters, because it was designed before CSS was
> > > commonly supported.  The parameters 1 to 6 work fine, but in CSS
> > > mode, document.execCommand("fontSize", false, "7") can't do anything
> useful.
> > > WebKit produces -webkit-xxx-large, which isn't interoperable, and
> > > Gecko doesn't support CSS mode for fontSize at all.  The editing
> > > spec says to output <font size=7> here even in CSS mode.
> >
> > Again here, I'm not seeing why following the feature definition leads
> > to any sort of problem in real use.  It seems like you could just as
> > well trim out the use of 7 from the set of permissible values and not
> > much would change.  Unless there's really a lot of Webkit-specific
> > content that actually uses this.
> >
> > I don't think it's a big deal to add it but as Tab said these relative
> > font-size values are a bit goofy to begin with, I'm not sure we should
> > be adding new ones.
> >
> Fwiw I queried an internal index of ~1m web pages from ~100,000 web sites.
> This value came up in only 4 pages, two of which have removed the value
> since the crawler snapshotted them. Interestingly, 3 of these were
> blogspot.com pages so it may have come from a generic template that has
> been updated.
>
> The one that still uses this property redirects to a Wordpress page:
> http://elizabethkartchner.com/

Clarification:
1. The index contains 4 pages that referenced this value
2. Three of these pages were blogspot.com URLs
3. Three of these pages no longer use this value
4. The one left is http://elizabethkartchner.com/; this is where you land
after following the blogspot.com URL originally indexed by the crawler.