Re: [css3-flexbox] Baseline of flexboxes and flexbox items

From: Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:54:09 +0200
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org, Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, Tony Chang <tony@chromium.org>
Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> writes:

> http://goo.gl/mjJLD
> The current behavior does seem wrong, but I agree that it's uncommon for
> different display types to be mixed in one flexbox.
> I don't feel strongly about this, but my intuition is that the table-cell
> behavior makes more sense. I'm thinking of the case of a toolbar (which is the
> only baseline use-case I can think of). If you have a label for an input that
> wraps, you wouldn't want every other item in the toolbar to move downwards.
> FWIW, WebKit's table behavior for inline-blocks doesn't do the above, which I
> think violates http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#height-layout.

No, that actually looks right. <td style="display:inline-block;"> will
insert an anonymous table-cell parent. A line will be created inside the
cell for the inline-block, and the baseline of the line will be the
baseline of the inline block, which is the last (second) line in the

Gecko, IE and Opera also agree with Webkit here.

Such anonymous parent insertion will not happen for flexbox, on the
other hand, because an inline-block is an acceptable flexbox item on its

---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----
---- Office: +47 23693206 ---- Cellular: +47 93440112 ----