Re: [css3-background] blending on 'box-shadow' and 'text-shadow'

I agree that this implies that the shadow becomes a separate element for HW
acceleration.
However, once you do so, you can attach a shader to that layer and the
blending will be done on the GPU. It wouldn't matter at that point what is
happening underneath the shadow.

For Safari, you could directly use Core Image (
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/graphicsimaging/reference/CoreImageFilterReference/Reference/reference.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000136-SW98
)

Rik