Re: [css-syntax, ideas-needed] Merge/inherit lists of values.

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:55:20 -0700
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tuesday 2012-04-10 14:44 -0700, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> used value of background-image-transformation will be this:
>    background-image-transformation: gamma(1.4) flip-x();
> I suspect that for implementation of such inheritance some change on
> CSS grammar/syntax level is required.
> I am thinking about something like !inherit modifier:
> div:dir(rtl) {
>    background-image-transformation: flip-x() !inherit;
> }

But this isn't about inheritance at all: this is about handling of
multiple rules applying to the same element (cascading) rather than
propagation of computed values from ancestor to descendant

We've previously discussed this sort of thing a few times under the
name "additive cascade", though never really come to any conclusion.

> I suspect that such inheritance feature could be useful for any other
> properties that accept lists of values. For example 'background'
> property that accepts lists of image definitions. In some cases
> it could be useful to combine two or more such list rather than
> to just override by heaviest rule.

Also counter-* and a few other things.