Re: [selectors5] Proposal for a pseudo combinator

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 15:39:30 -0700
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Apr 5, 2012, at 4:44 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> Similarly, what about something like "p::before:hover::marker"?
> That's difficult just for my eyes to parse.  ^_^  Redone as "p ::
> before:hover :: marker", it's immediately much more understandable.

I disagree. I don't find it "much more understandable." In fact, I think having "::foo" as one chunk of text (no spaces) makes it much more clear that "foo" is not looking a <foo> element in the markup, but is instead something special (an element created by the CSS and then selected).

It might be a little more clear if there is a space *before* the "::". But honestly, I didn't have any problem parsing "p::before:hover::marker" in my mind. Because I have learned what "::" means already, and learning it with no spaces wasn't hard.