Re: [css3-values] syntax identity of <url> (was: [css4-values] Templated URLs)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:14:37 -0700
To: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.  It seems to muddy the water in terms
> of being able to really understand pseudo elements and shadow dom... when I
> read it, I get a sinking feeling that something is wrong either with it or
> with my understanding.

Nah, you're fine.  From a layout perspective, pseudo-elements are
"real" elements, just like everything coming from the document.
However, attr() refers to qualities that pseudo-elements don't have,
and so it's more useful to have it instead refer to the superior
parent when used inside of a pseudo-element.

~TJ