Re: [css-variables] Adding a default value to var()

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 19:20:24 -0700
To: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com> wrote:
> I might be missing something due to not considering it for long enough, but
> I don't think it adds all that much complexity to the proposal. I don't
> think adding default values would cause any noticeable delay to Opera's
> implementation of variables.
>
> As it looks like a useful feature, unless significant complexity is found
> when attempting to spec it, it'd be in favor of putting it in.

One issue is that two valid methods for specifying defaults have been
presented - at the var property level, or at the var() use level.  I'm
not sure which is better, or if both are good, and if we use the
var-prop level idea, exactly how to express it.  (I think the !default
idea is interesting as a general idea.)

I'm fine with staying simple and quickly iterating.