Re: [css3-flexbox] auto margins and flex-align: baseline

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 18:06:10 -0700
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Cc: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, Tony Chang <tony@chromium.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
> Why does it make sense to do this? margin:auto is the legacy api for
> centering. flex-align/flex-pack are more explicit and easier to understand.
> Why not have non-auto flex-align/flex-pack cause margin:auto to be ignored?

I think either way is fine, but I'm actually somewhat partial to the
current spec ordering.  It keeps the box-model property effects as
close together as possible - non-auto margins have their effect in the
very beginning when figuring out free space, and then auto margins
have their effect immediately after flexing.

(I'm not particularly happy with auto margins working at all, but it's
closer to the older Flexbox model, it's not troublesome to spec or
implement (since it's more-or-less just a second round of
flex-pack/align), and Alex is pretty keen on it, so I'm okay with
keeping it in.)

This seems to be a minor detail with no real effect on functionality,
and I'm attempting to stabilize this spec ASAP for Last Call, so I'd
prefer to do nothing with this feedback.  That okay?