Re: :empty matching nodes containing only non-significant whitespace WAS: [css4-text] A non-inherited property to control behavior of whitespace-only child boxes

From: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 07:30:27 -0400
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@chromium.org>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
> For the editing use-case below, I'd like :empty to match nodes that contain
> only non-significant whitespace.

Whether whitespace is significant is only known after style is
resolved -- it depends on 'white-space', for one thing.  So it could
match nodes that contain only whitespace, but it can't tell whether
whitespace is significant.  So it's not helpful for editing.

(I'm not clear on what the application would be to editing anyway, actually.)