RE: Strawman proposal for UTR #50: Unicode Properties for Vertical Text Layout

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:59:01 -0400
To: Eric Muller <emuller@adobe.com>
CC: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
> No problem. However, I am in the final stage of the first
> draft of UTR50, and I did some significant changes compared
> to the strawman proposal. I hope this draft will be published soon.

Oh, great. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

> U+FF21 A FULLWIDTH LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A +
> U+20DD ◌⃝ COMBINING ENCLOSING CIRCLE will be upright.

Right. My point is that U+2460 is decomposed to U+0031 20DD by NFKD. U+2474 is U+0028 0031 0029. NFKD changing glyph orientation isn't great, but I don't know how to solve this. Is this okay not to solve? I was originally worried that it's not good if NFC changes glyph orientations, but it looks like it can only be broken by NKFD, which I suspect is not used very often.

>> 3. I can't see clear direction for how you want to handle
>> unified punctuation characters. Some are U, while some are S.
>
> In my current draft, I essentially arrived at the same conclusion.
> In my current draft:
> (From this quote, you can rightly conclude the draft has replaced
> the EA/O distinction by classes similar to those of JLREQ).

It's great to hear that the definition is no longer per-block, and it sounds like a great way to go. Can't wait to see it.

Regards,
Koji