Re: [css3-text] Couple of word-spacing issues

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:04:58 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On 09/28/2011 09:53 AM, Lev Solntsev wrote:
> Hello!
>
> 1. Gecko, Presto and Trident handle spaces between inline-blocks by the word-space
>    property, but Webkit doesn't. It does by the letter-spacing property which, I
>    believe, is wrong, since inline-blocks behavior is more words alike then glyphs.
>
> However, that isn't defined anywhere in CSS, so probably it's good idea to define that somewhere?

It is already defined.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#spacing-props
   # Word spacing affects each space (U+0020) and non-breaking space (U+00A0),
   # left in the text after the white space processing rules have been applied.

This means that

<inline-block/><inline-block/> will only be affected by letter-spacing, whereas
<inline-block/> <inline-block/> will be affected by word-spacing.

~fantasai