Re: suggestion of adding top,right,bottom,right to box-shadow

On 14/9/11 04:28, shi chuan wrote:
> box-shadow is lack of the option to be displayed only on specific
> sides of the box.
>
> We can't defined it as box-*-*-shadow. it's often used together with
> other CSS properties like border-radius which supports this syntax. It
> will be great if we could use the following way to specify the sides
> we want the shadow to be displayed (top,right,bottom,right)
>
> box-top-left-shadow
>
> Currently this can't be achieved without some kind of hack.
> (reference:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4909561/css3-box-shadow-on-top-left-and-right-only)
>
> --
>
> *Shi Chuan */Web Developer/
>
> Twitter: @shichuan | Skype: shichuanr
> shichuanr@gmail.com <mailto:shichuanr@gmail.com> | www.blog.highub.com
> <http://www.blog.highub.com>

Like it was discussed, this is easily achieavable through a negative
spread value.
However, what would make both this, and many other cases* less tricky to
implement, would be the ability to set horizontal and vertical spread
radius separately. Perhaps with a slash, like in border-radius:

box-shadow: 0 0 4px -2px / 2px black;

* I remember needing this many times in day-to-day development, although
I can't create a list off the top of my head. Perhaps someone else can,
if the use cases aren't as obvious as I hope.

--
Lea Verou (http://leaverou.me | @LeaVerou)