Re: Emphasis in East Asian scripts

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 00:21:55 +0900
To: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 18:50:32 +0900, Daniel Glazman

> I'm attending the W3C MultilingualWeb Workshop in Limeric, Ireland,
> and a rather good question emerged related to the <em> element:
>
>    should the <em> element be rendered using ‘text-emphasis-style'
>    instead of 'font-style: italic' for East Asian languages using the
>    :lang() pseudo?

Not basing my answer on specs or existing implementations, just on what
feels right, I would go with 'text-emphasis-style'. Regardless of how
common it is, italic on Japanese or Chinese text is just weird.

Besides, if we do not use 'text-emphasis-style' here, it feels like it
wasn't really worth telling everybody to use <em> instead of <i>.

  -  Florian