Re: [css3-flexbox] flex-pack distribute bikeshed

From: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:18:52 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
> > I understand the desire to use distribute for flex-pack since it can be
> > vertical as well, but I think justify is a more well understood term and
> > don't foresee people finding the concept of justifying vertically
> confusing.
> > The meaning is obvious.
> > WebKit already implemented it with 'justify' based on the previous state
> of
> > the spec and I'm loathe to change the name to something that's IMO more
> > confusing.
> So, I looked back at my commit history, and that change shows up with
> the commit message "Change flex-pack:justify to distribute, to match
> Grid.".  Grid has no such thing.  Thus, I'm pretty sure I was on crack
> at the time.
> I think Fantasai may have suggested changing it, because it's not
> exactly the same as justification.  Text justification only triggers
> when the text is "close enough" to a full line, while
> flex-pack:distribute always triggers.

I hadn't thought of the wrapping case. I think we want the same behavior as
text justification here as well. The use-case I have in mind is a toolbar
that wraps:

So, you have two non-flexing buttons on either side of an input that flexes,
but when you make the container small, you want the buttons to wrap, instead
of overflow.

button button input
button button

button button input
button       button

The justify behavior is clearly what you want in this use-case. Is there a
multiline case where you actually want the distribute behavior?