Re: [css3-selectors] Should pseudo-classes "of type" discriminate based on class selectors?

From: Linss, Peter <peter.linss@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:21:23 +0100
To: Eric Peterson <i.am@eric.pe>
On Sep 12, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Eric Peterson wrote:

> I think it makes sense for CSS3 pseudo-classes ending with "-of-type" (i.e. nth-of-type, only-of-type, first-of-type, etc.) ought to take into account not only their  elements, but also any class selectors attached to the element.
>
> i.e.
>
> div > p:nth-of-type(2) {}
>
> Would affect the second p directly descendant of div.  While on the other hand...
>
> div > p.foo:nth-of-type(2) {}
>
> Would affect only the second p with class "foo" directly descendant of div.

Currently that means the second p child of div, if it has the class 'foo'. How would you get that behavior with your proposal?

Having:
div > p:nth-of-type(2).foo {} be different from:
div > p.foo:nth-of-type(2) {} is a possibility but order has historically not been significant within a simple selector and adding that now could be problematic.

It would likely be better to simply add p:nth-of-class(foo, 2) or something like :nth-of(p.foo.bar:visited, 2)