Re: suggestion of adding top,right,bottom,right to box-shadow

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:31:03 +1000
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: shi chuan <shichuanr@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 14/09/2011 11:18 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> The way you describe hiding parts of the shadow by specifying them
> per-edge sounds awkward and unnatural. The UA would have to be able
> to have separate offsets and blurs and spreads and colors for each
> side, somehow joined at the corners. But based on your use case,
> really all you need is a way to crop the shadow. Using
> overflow:hidden is not that hacky a way to do it, and much more
> natural than your idea.

I'm not sure what Shi really wants.

Maybe a mock up graphic may help us know what you are seeking. The way
you described the corner joins in a way that is not how box-shadow
currently works makes me wonder if this can not be done another way.

The below demo may be more the rendering you are wanting.

Alan Gresley