Re: [css3-writing-modes] use case for font-dependent default orientation

Koji Ishii wrote:

> U+2030 PER MILLE SIGN does not have its full-width counterpart
> and therefore it is the code point to map from East Asian
> legacy encodings for Japanese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese.
> You type "per mille" (in Japanese Kana) in Japanese Windows and
> you'll get U+2030. Word sets it upright. InDesign sets it
> upright too. So setting it sideways just breaks all existing
> documents and make HTML/CSS hard to display existing documents.
>
> But U+2030 is "General" punctuation, not East Asian
> punctuation, so setting it upright doesn't work for non-East
> Asian context. "Use-font" is the idea fantasai and I came up to
> solve this issue, but I'd be very happy if anyone has any other
> idea to solve this issue.

One more note.  Effectively, both apps are defining U+2030 as
upright *not* as the functional equivalent of your "use font"
category.  The logic in the spec would make this upright, your
proposed logic based on the existence of a vertical alternate
would set this sideways (since vertical alternates don't normally
exist for this codepoint).

John