Re: [css] Proposal: making Shorthand Hex Colors even shorter (16 grayscale shades)

> Unfortunately, CSS is locked into the confusing |#RRGGBBAA| syntax since
> backward-compatibility with programs that already support this syntax
> was part of the rationale for its inclusion.

What exact programs you are talking about? For example, in Photoshop, opacity and nontransparent hex color are separate properties that needs to be copied separately anyway.

> Adding a full stop (i.e., ".") character as a separator within the
> syntax would break that compatibility.

It's unclear what compatibility you are talking about, but just in case: point in my proposed syntax is decimal point of full fractional number (from 0.0 to 1.0). Integer part of number is just removed since it's needed only for exactly one opacity value: 1.0. But for 100% opacity we don't need for opacity component at all. So we can safely remove integer part and elegantly use decimal point itself as a compact hex/alpha separator.