Re: [CSSOM] Revisiting transforms and getBoundingClientRect()

From: Erik Arvidsson <arv@chromium.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 10:03:46 -0700
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: John J Barton <johnjbarton@johnjbarton.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Andrew Dupont <w3@andrewdupont.net>, www-style@w3.org
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 22:34, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> It would be difficult to expose a synchronous "onlayout" event to Web
> content safely, and it would be pointless to make it asynchronous.

I don't think it would be pointless to have an async event that would
be dispatched when we know that the layout is non dirty at some point
before the next paint. At this point getting the layout rects would be
cheap.

I agree that exposing a sync layout event sounds scary. Hello sync
mutation events!

For debugging purpose I would love to have a way to "blow up" if a
layout is happening when I don't expect it. This is definitely
something the Firebug and Web Inspector could expose and does not need
any standardization but I do think it requires cooperation from the
code.

--
erik