Re: [CSSOM] Revisiting transforms and getBoundingClientRect()

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 13:56:37 +1200
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Andrew Dupont <w3@andrewdupont.net>, www-style@w3.org
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> I think this would be useful, but we should expose point mapping in the
> same way that we expose rect/quad mapping.

Sure, OK. Something like element.mapPointTo(relativeTo, x, y)?

> Having a variety of functions for the content, padding and margin rects
> seems like overkill; I would prefer one or two "bottleneck" quad mapping
> functions with helper methods to get the various boxes for a given element.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Can you suggest something?

In addition to the split boxes issue, we also have to settle on a coordinate
> system for split inlines (I believe David Baron suggested that the top  left
> of the first box could be considered to be the origin).

Not quite sure what you mean here either. I think my suggestion is
well-defined for inlines.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our